The mission of the Marketing team is to articulate the benefits of Sugar (simplify), to promote these benefits as widely as possible (amplify), and to recruit volunteers to improve the Sugar experience.
Sean Daly (sdaly at sugarlabs.org) is Marketing Coordinator and welcomes ideas and comments but most of all communicators interested in helping out!
Deliverables and/or initiatives actively being worked on (with goals and deadlines).
Local Labs Survey 2016
In mid-late 2016, Sugar Labs Members are surveying each user community to better understand how Sugar is being adopted and adapted by end-users.
SocialHelp Survey 2016
In late 2015/early 2016, Sam Parkinson ran a survey on http://socialhelp.sugarlabs.org and wrote a report (Media:2016_Socialhelp_Survey_Analysis.pdf) and published the source data (File:2016 SocialHelp Survey Response Data.ods)
MIT Sloan MarketLab Study
In late 2010, four students from the MIT Sloan MarketLab worked on a study of the Sugar Labs website. Their conclusions indicate the importance not only of revamping our website (launched two years ago when fewer visuals were available), but of addressing other aspects, in particular installation and support issues, as well as the technical orientation of our web presence.
The study wiki, with raw data, is here: https://sites.google.com/site/marketlabsugar
Of particular interest: the survey results from 85 respondents, here: Media:MarketLab_survey_results.pdf
A sample fundraising document by the MarketLab team is here: Media:Sugar_Fundraising_Text_Proposal.odt
The annotated final presentation is here: Media:MIT_MarketLab_Annotated_Presentation.odp
Sugar Labs website revamp
Our polished static website as a landing page for Sugar Labs is in the process of being redone (March-May 2011). Marketing Team/Website
See Marketing Team/Events for a table of events we are targeting.
Our Press page is here: http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press
Translator assistance welcomed!
How Sugar motivates us: a series of profiles on contributors. Marketing Team/Sugar stories
Press contacts list
We're working on a Marketing Team/Press contacts list with education-oriented publications. This list is maintained by the Marketing Coordinator.
PR phone line
+1 (617) 500-9610
Marketing Team/Phone is the new number that journalists can call for quotes, interviews, clarifications, etc. about Sugar. This is a VoIP number which at this time forwards either to the Marketing Coordinator, an Oversight Board member, or voicemail which is forwarded as a timestamped soundfile to pr AT sugarlabs DOT org, an account monitored through forwarding by the Marketing Coordinator and two others. Unfortunately, our previous provider has gone out of business and stopped service at the end of March 2011, so the old PR number no longer works.
To view, download, and contribute to swag designs (stickers, t-shirts, business cards, USB sticks, umbrellas, etc.) and coordinate purchasing swag from suppliers, see Marketing Team/Swag.
Conversations that may one day turn into projects, or may have in the past been projects.
While a small user community might discourage adoption of a tool, a large user community can help encourage adoption. And of course, small communities need always precede large ones! You know the old expression: "Eat Sugar! 10**9 flies can't be wrong!" <G>
How do you measure the size of a community? A great way to do that with automata connected to a global communication network is to have them "phone home" now and then. Now, I hope what I am suggesting does not break with any covenent, (implicit or explicit, moral or legal). But would it be so harmful if, say once a day, a Sugar installation would briefly tell Sugar Labs "Hey, I'm alive on a machine today!"
Some might agree to do this, but worry about a slippery slope. Would the future of this humble audit parallel the course of the United States decennial census, growing from a simple enumeration into a ruthless and arrogant demographic strip-search?
Of course, audits could be of great benefit to end-users, especially if they included Activity installation audits. For example, they could evolve into a mechanism for warning the user about a terrible bug that needs patching, or advertising a follow-on tool almost all users adopt upon learning about the new existence of same. (I just now learn that automatic software updates are a new feature of the latest (8.2.0) OLPC software release.) By "factoring" the audit mechanism into a system-wide facility, Activity developers would be spared the need to code such support on their own.
As a courtesy to Sugar users, cooperation in audits should be voluntary. But every user should be told why such an audit can help him and others.
Naturally, all this is limited by the fact that not every last machine on which Sugar will be run will be attached to the Internet.
1. Does a YouTube channel exist? If not, why not? There already is a channel at Dailymotion with 19 videos as we write: http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs/1 YouTube may not use an open source codec, but it is an incredibly popular search engine and affiliate-propagation tool, see:
2. First video would be a 60-second TV-style ad explaining
... what Sugar is (leverage OLPC brand-awareness!)
... that it is free
... what you need to run it
... how you get a copy to install
3. Every time a pitch (q.v. below) is created, a YouTube video record of same is made. The YouTube version can add stills or short video clips to a talking head.
Short, 1-page elevator pitches to sell Sugar to various audiences. Not formalized, but the homepage (www.sugarlabs.org) is the best starting point. Marketing Team/Pitches
See Marketing Team/Logo.
Ongoing discussion. See Marketing Team/Name
Several slogan options are available at Marketing Team/Slogan.
- Marketing Team/Ambassadors
- Marketing Team/Boot Logo
- Marketing Team/Booth Banners
- Marketing Team/Contacts
- Marketing Team/Coordinator
- Marketing Team/Elevator Pitch
- Marketing Team/Events
- Marketing Team/Events/FOSDEM 2009
- Marketing Team/Events/FOSDEM 2009/Notes
- Marketing Team/Events/FUDCon Brno 2008
- Marketing Team/Events/FUDCon Brno 2008/Logs
- Marketing Team/Events/FUDCon Brno 2008/Notes
- Marketing Team/Events/Gtk3 Hackfest 2011
- Marketing Team/Events/KiwiPyCon
- Marketing Team/Events/LinuxTag2009
- Marketing Team/Events/LinuxTag2010
- Marketing Team/Events/LinuxTag2011
- Marketing Team/Events/MassCUE2009
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Announcements
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Attendees
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Christoph's Notes
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Logistics
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Schedule
- Marketing Team/Events/MiniCamp Paris 2009/Sessions
- Marketing Team/Events/NECC2009
- Marketing Team/Events/Olin Play Session
- Marketing Team/Events/SugarCamp Berlin 2009/Announcements
- Marketing Team/Events/SugarCamp Berlin 2009/Attendees
- Marketing Team/Events/SugarCamp Berlin 2009/Logistics
- Marketing Team/Events/SugarCamp Berlin 2009/Schedule
- Marketing Team/Events/SugarCamp Berlin 2009/Sessions
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Bolzano 2009
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Announcements
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Attendees
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Feedback
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Logistics
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Marketing
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Minutes
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Photos
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Proposals
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/Schedule
- Marketing Team/Events/Sugarcamp Boston 2008/hackathon
- Marketing Team/Events/YMCA Healthy Kids Day
- Marketing Team/FAQ
- Marketing Team/Getting Involved
- Marketing Team/Local Labs Survey 2016
- Marketing Team/Logo
- Marketing Team/Meetings
- Marketing Team/Meetings/02-10-2009
- Marketing Team/Meetings/02-25-2009
- Marketing Team/Meetings/03-03-2009
- Marketing Team/Meetings/12-16-2008
- Marketing Team/Meetings/12-2-2008
- Marketing Team/Meetings/12-23-2008
- Marketing Team/Meetings/12-9-2008
- Marketing Team/Meetings/2011-02-22
- Marketing Team/Meetings/Infrastructure Team
- Marketing Team/Mission
- Marketing Team/Name
- Marketing Team/Organizing an Event
- Marketing Team/Pitches
- Marketing Team/Presentations
- Marketing Team/Presentations/OLE Presentation
- Marketing Team/Press contacts
- Marketing Team/Project Visualization
- Marketing Team/Resources
- Marketing Team/Roadmap
- Marketing Team/Screen Shots
- Marketing Team/Slogan
- Marketing Team/Stickers
- Marketing Team/Sugar stories
- Marketing Team/Swag
- Marketing Team/T-Shirt
- Marketing Team/TODO
- Marketing Team/Wallpapers for iOS devices
- Marketing Team/Web site statistics
- Marketing Team/Website
- Marketing Team/paperwork